The Urinary Tract Infection Home Remedy Guide
This page, urinary tract infection home remedy, discusses the various symptoms, causes, and things to avoid when you are suffering from a UTI.And don't be embarrassed, almost every woman will have at least one case of UTI at some point in her life, causing pain, discomfort, and major annoyances!
- Pain and burning sensation when urinating
- Urinating frequently, but often with just a few drops
- Passing blood in urine
- Bacteria multiplying in the urinary system to cause an
- If the infection is limited to the urethra area, it's called urethritis.
- If the infection travels further up the tract and into the bladder, it's called cystitis (aka bladder infection).
- If the infection moves even further and into the kidneys, it can become a serious condition called pyelonephritis.
- Using certain birth control methods, such as spermicides containing nonoxynol-9, can put a woman at higher risk for UTI's. Nonoxynol-9 is an ingredient that can alter the bacterial balance in the vagina, allowing growth of E. coli, the bacteria that causes most UTIs.
- Some women have even experienced UTI caused by an over-sized penis (pushing bacteria further up the urinary tract).
Urinary tract infection Home Remedies:
- Hydration! Drinking lots of fluids will help wash out the bacteria attempting to adhere to the cells lining your urethra.
- Mix half a teaspoon of baking soda with eight ounces of water and drink it. Baking soda raises the pH of acidic urine.
- Cranberry juice can prevent bacteria from adhering the cells lining the urinary tract. Lots of anecdotes from women confirm this ones really works. But if it seems like your UTI is worsening, stop immediately. For some women, cranberry juice can be too high in acid content. You can also buy them in pill form.
- Aged cheeses
- Spicy foods
- Artificial sweeteners
- Feminine hygiene sprays
- Restrictive clothing (let it breathe down there!)
There are natural ways to soothe and support urinary tract health using systemic flushing. Adding a supplement that contains ingredients such as Buchu (cleanses the urinary tract - Simpson, D. "Buchu--South Africa's amazing herbal remedy". Scott.Med J 1998;43(6):189-191.), Bearberry leaf (traditional remedy for the cleansing and purification of the urinary tract and contains the glycoside, arbutin. Two studies evaluated the urine of people who were taking uva ursi and found positive results), Yarrow (Achillea millefolium) (acts as soothing agents and natural astringents), Lemon balm (active ingredients include volatile oil, tannins, flavonoids, tocopherols and choline. Studies have confirmed beneficial effects on supporting health and immune system functioning - Kucera LS, Cohen RA, Herrmann EC Jr. Antiviral activities of extracts of the lemon balm plant. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences. 1965;130(1):474-482) and Oatstraw (active ingredients include saponins; flavonoids; minerals; alkaloids; steroidal compounds; and vitamins B1, B2 and E. All these ingredients are beneficial in supporting the immune system.).
One product to consider that blends all of these ingredients is UTI-Clear. Check the manufacturers website for additional data on each ingredient and for clinical studies.
As always, if the urinary tract infection does not improve or worsens, contact a physician immediately.
References (for urinary tract infection home remedy):
"The Doctors Book of Home Remedies for Women" by the Editors of Prevention Magazine