Dry Skin Home Remedies
This page describes various dry skin home remedies using the
herbs and essential oils listed below.
Herbs: chamomile, comfrey,
elder flower, rose
Essential oils: chamomile,
Herbal Facial Sauna
Steam from a facial sauna helps to open the pores, wash impurities, and
hydrate the skin. An herbal facial sauna is one way to gently, but
deeply cleanse your skin.
- 1.5 quarts water
- 6 tablespoons mixture of the herbs listed above for your
- Almond or jojoba oil optional (both are natural oils that
absorb into skin easily and provide additional moisture benefits.
- Bring water to boil in a large pot.
- Turn off heat then add in herbal mixture. Re-cover the pot
and allow herbs to steep for 5 minutes.
- Wash your face with a gentle cleanser and warm water. Apply
a thin layer of almond or jojoba oil to your face - this is a great
added moisturizer for dry skin.
- Place the pot on a table (don't forget to use a pad so the
table doesn't burn!) and remove the lid. Take a towel and place it over
your head creating a tent. Be careful not to stick your face too close
to the steam. This method will capture the steam and create a
sauna-like effect. Stay under the tent for 10 minutes but lift the
towel as needed to regulate the temperature.
- Rinse with lukewarm water, and follow with a gentle facial
scrub and facial mask if desired.
Our editors have found that using a facial mask immediately after a
facial sauna helps pull out all the blackheads in my skin.
Aromatherapy Facial Oil
Natural facial oils can be excellent facial moisturizers and absorb
easily into the skin.
- 1 ounce jojoba oil
- 10 drops of one of the essential oils from list above (or
you can use a combination of oils from the list)
- Combine your essential oils with the jojoba oil in a dark
glass bottle. A glass pharmacy bottle with a dropper works best for
dispensing smaller drops of oil.
- After cleansing your skin with warm water, gently massage
3-4 drops of the moisturizing oil onto your damp skin.
Herbal Healing Secrets for Women by Vukovic (2000)
Have any great home remedies or stories you'd like to share?
Do you have a great home remedy to share? Or a story that could help others? We'd love to hear it!
Dry Skin Home Remedies to more information on Skin Care
Dry Skin Home Remedies to Home Remedy Almanac Home Page